Cherry Tomato Salad with Basil and Mozzarella
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 medium shallot (or onion), minced (about three tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves, torn
- 8 ounces of fresh mozzarella cheese, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Toss the tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and the sugar in a medium bowl. Set it aside and let stand on its own for 30 minutes.
- At this point, the recipe recommends transferring the tomatoes to a salad spinner and spinning them for a few seconds to remove the seeds and extra juice. Make sure you conserve the juice.
- Put the spun tomato juice/seeds through a fine strainer to reserve the juice and discard the seeds.
- At this point, heat a medium saucepan over medium-low heat on the stove.
- Add 1/2 cup of the tomato liquid, the shallot, and vinegar to a simmer. Let simmer until the mixture is reduced to about 3 tablespoons.
- Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Whisk in the oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the basil and the mozzarella to the tomatoes. Toss gently to combine.