Stir-fried oyster and shiitake mushrooms with garlic
Serves: 4 sides
- 10 ounces oyster mushrooms
- 5 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 scallions, green parts only, finely sliced
- Clean the oyster mushrooms, if necessary, and tear or cut lengthwise into bite-size pieces. Trim off and discard the shiitake stalks and slice the caps.
- Heat a wok or large, heavy skillet over a high flame. Add the oil and swirl it around before adding the garlic, which should be stir-fried very briefly, until you can smell its fragrance. Then add the mushrooms and stir-fry for a couple of minutes until they have somewhat reduced in volume. Next, pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Continue to stir until the mushrooms are tender and the stock has been largely absorbed, adding salt to taste. Add the scallions, stir a few times so they feel the lick of heat, then serve.